BELGAUM THE CROWN OF KARNATAKA
Belgaum is the crown of Karnatak state. The serene and less polluted atmosphere of this beautiful city is an abode of variety of communities. This city has the history of more than two thousand years. Excavations at various places in the city have revealed ancient structures both underground and on the ground. In earlier days it was called ‘Venugram’, as the area was full of bamboo groves. It is now known as ‘BELGAAV’ in Marathi, ‘BELGAAMV’ in Hindi, ‘BELGAUM’ in English and ‘BELGAAVI’ in Kannada.
The British founded a strong military base in Belgaum. It was one of the five main bases in Bombay presidency and also founded ‘Maratha Light Infantry Regimental Centre’, which took part in many wars overseas, including the first and second world wars. Now there is also a commando-training centre in this area.
An Air force station and an airport are also notable places in Belgaum. Belgaum is situated in the centre of Pune and Bangalore on both railway and also on road named NH4. It has rail link to Goa, which is 150 kms.
At the entrance, there are two shrines- Durga and Ganapati. Inside the fort, there are Jain temples; one is ‘Kamal Basti’. These structures are built with intricate designs on the walls. (1204 AD). There is also an imposing Darga that belongs to Adilshahi period. The fort is surrounded by a deep moat.
ST. MARY’S CHURCH
The gothic structure of the church in the cantonment area is worth seeing place, which was built in 1869. Beautiful light filters, intricate glass windows and Biblical drawings are the examples of fine arts. Some other structures built in the British period are St. Xavier’s church, St. Anthony’s church, Methodist church and the school buildings of St. Paul’s, and Baynon Smith High school.
MILITARY MAHADEV MANDIR
This place is one of the most popular recreational spots in the city. It is a well-managed, clean and peaceful temple. It is devoted to Lord Shiva and other deities. Lush gardens and fruit plants surround it. There is also a deer park, which attracts a large number of children.
RAMKRISHNA MISSION ASHRAM
In the fort area, an imposing new structure attracts the devotees and tourists alike, that is Ramakrishna Mission Ashram. The earlier structure was a modest house, in which Swami Vivekanand stayed for a few days on the way to Kanyakumari.
This place is known as ‘Dakshin Kashi’ and is an attraction of large number of devotees. It is situated on the way to Shahapur with an old stone structure of 600 years. It is said that, the pilgrimage of twelve Jyotirlingas is complete only after visiting Kapileshwar of Belgauam.
On Vengurla road, there is a small but a beautiful Ganesh Mandir, managed by military. It is a ‘Swayambhu’ Ganesh and known to be a boon giver to the devotees. It is located in a serene and pollution free area of the cantonment.
This dam is located at around 80 kms from Belgaum and is built to store 37.73 TMC of water to irrigate 539172 acres of land in Belgaum, Dharwad and Bijapur districts. 43 villages were submerged in the waters including Gurlahosur, the birthplace of Laxmanrao Kirloskar, a great Indian industrialist.
Sogal is a popular tourist spot for the devotees, adventurists and trekkers. It is around 75 kms from Belgaum and it has massive hill on which Lord Somnath blesses the devotees. The hill is of solid and straight rock, which enables water to fall from a height of 30 feet for the enjoyment of the tourists and devotees.
Gokak lies to the east of Belgaum on the way to Bijapur. It is famous for massive water falls on the river Ghataprabha. It is a broad and deep falls of 150 feet. In the rainy season of July and August, the place is full of tourists. The swinging bridge and an electricity generation is worth seen. There is also a cotton mill near the falls.
The world famous Yellamaa temple is full of devotees through out the year. This deity is a reincarnation of Goddess Renuka and is a family deity of crores of people. In earlier days, this place was the capital of the Rattas. This place is surrounded by seven hills and is a fine beautyspot on the earth.
Safa Masjid is an example of beautiful Islamic architecture in the fort of Belgaum. It is a combination of Indo-Saracenic-Deccan style of structure. Floral carvings, rounded pillars (of old temples), and Devnagari and Kannada inscriptions are worth seeing. The 16th century Persian inscriptions from Qoran are also beautiful.
EDUCATIONAL INTITUTIONS IN BELGAUM
From the late 1970’s, Belgaum has begun seeing a substantial increase in the number of professional educational institutes. Many of these institutes are affiliated to the Karnatak University, Dharwad.
The establishment of the Visvesvaraya Technological University in 1998, with an affiliation of more that 140 Engineering Colleges raised the importance of Belgaum as the centre of Technical Education in Karnataka.
Engineering Colleges in Belgaum
- Maratha Mandalas Engineering College, Malmaruti Extn,
- KLE Societys College of Engineering, Anagol, Belgaum
- SJPN Trusts Rural Engineering College, Belgaum
- Gogte Institute of Technology, Belgaum
- Hirasugar Rural Engineering College, Sankeshwar, Belgaum
Medical Colleges in Belgaum
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Nehru Nagar, Belgaum
- S. B. Shirkali Homoeopathic Medical College, Belgaum
- A M Sheikh Homoeopathic Medical College, Belgaum
- Bharatesh Homoeopathic Medical College, Belgaum
- SCSES Shiv Basava Jyoti Homoeopathic Medical College, Belgaum
Law Colleges in Belgaum
- ASNSs Mahatma Gandhi Ji Law College, Belgaum
- KLE Societys Law College, Belgaum
- Shri Laxmanrao Jarkiholi Law College, Belgaum
- KRCE Societys Law College, Belgaum
- Raja Lakshma Gowda Law College, Belgaum
- KLE Societys BV Bellad Law College, Belgaum
Nursing Colleges in Belgaum
- Bharatesh College of Nursing, Belgaum
- HH Bhadrabahu Swamiji Nursing School, Belgaum
- Karnataka Health Institute School of Nursing, Belgaum
- KLE Society's Hospital College of Nursing
- KLE Nursing School, Belgaum
- School of Nursing Dist Hospital
- School of Nursing Vimochana Devadasi
- Shaikh Institute of Nursing, Belgaum
- Shri JG Co-operative Hospital and Research Institute, Belgaum
- Shri Gomatesh Education Societys Instittute of Nursing, Belgaum
- Tukkar School of Nurisng, Belgaum
B. Ed Colleges in Belgaum
- College of Teacher Education, Belgaum 590002
- K.L.E. Society's S.S. Banasawanal Teachers Training Institute, Belgaum 590001
- B.D. Jatti Hindi B. Ed. College Of Education, Distt. Hospital Road, Ayodhya Nagar, Belgaum 590001.
- Siddarameshwar B. Ed College, Belgaum
- Sagar B. Ed College, New railway Bridge, Belgaum
- Womens B. Ed College, Nehru Nagar, Belgaum
- A M Sheikh B. Ed College, Shivabasava Nagar, Belgaum
DEFENCE TRAINING CENTRES
- MLIRC – The Maratha Light Infantry Regimental Centre. It houses the Commando Training Wing by the name Mhow.
- AIR FORCE STATION - SAMBRA.
It houses the Admin Training Basic Training for Technical & Non Technical Trades.
Universities in around Belgaum
- Visvesvaraya Technological University, Machhe, Belgaum, Karnataka
- Karnatak University, Pavate Nagar, Dharwad, Karnataka
- University of Agricultural Science, Krishinagar, Dharwad, Karnataka
- Karnatak University Kittur rani Channamma Post Graduate Center, Belgaum
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur